Monday, November 15, 2010

A Canuck in Cancun: Macho, Macho Man

A Canuck in Cancun: Macho, Macho Man

Machismo, one my biggest turn-offs. When I hear the word I think of hairy chests and men grabbing their crotch while ordering their women to get them another damned beer. Mexico (and other Latin countries) has a reputation for being a society dominated by macho men, and while I hate to stereotype, I would have to say that it is somewhat true. Women are evolving here, but the culture of man being dominant certainly still exists. Chauvinism is alive and well, evident in cultural events such as lucha libre (wrestling), cock fights, bull fights, domestic abuse and the cantinas packed with men seeing who can drink the most tequila or eat the hottest salsa while ogling the waitresses. I must be clear, this is certainly not ALL men in Mexico, and it's not just a Mexican problem, but it is more widely accepted here than it should be. Many women do not report abuse and they may not even realize that they are being abused emotionally, verbally and psychologically. Their mamas will tell them to do all that they

No comments:

Post a Comment